Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Massive upgrade to snowball

After many years of delays, snowball has finally been upgraded. It's now running on an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (at 1.526 GHz) with 1 gig of RAM and 180 gig of HD space. It's also been upgraded/converted to run CentOS 4 Linux after laboring for so long under the very old and obsolete Red Hat 6.2 Linux. There's still a bunch of things to finish configuring, like the web server(s) and imap and $DEITY only knows what else I forgot but ssh works so I have the facility and ability to work on those things from home. I did remember at 4am that I forgot to move some of the config files in /etc over and, like a bonehead, I didn't keep a spare copy of the original /etc around for just this situation. However, I still have the drive from the old box so, with a little bit of work, I should be able to get those things worked out sometime before Armageddon. The mirrors are up (more or less), though, so there's at least that. I probably should have rebuilt the content rather than moving everything over, though. There's a lot of kruft lying all over the file systems and it's likely going to cause some conflicts. Anyway, with a little elbow grease and some luck the primary systems should be back online in a week or so (or so).

No comments:

Post a Comment