Friday, August 19, 2005

No one ever listens to me

It's interesting how people who excel at something which involves others have this innate inability to do the same for themselves. Doctors make the worst patients; Cops have a tough time dealing as crime victims; Shrinks can't analyze themselves for love or money. I, myself, have this kind of problem.

See, I am very good at fixing things dealing with people and relationships. Well, not exactly relationships like "relationships" but more like the interrelationships people wave with each other and with the world. I can't solve my way out of a paper bag when it comes to my life. But with others I seem to have a keen sense of, I don't know, insight maybe?

For whatever the reason, people often come to me with troubles or problems or just plain confusion about things both grandiose and insignificant. I am able to give advice and sometimes directly help them. Nearly every time the other person follows my advice things work out fine. When they don't follow it, anything from disappointment to disaster is likely. One person I am pretty much dead on about is my ex. I'll tell her that it would be better if she did or didn't do something and I always seem to turn out right. The trouble she has is she hardly ever listens to me and most times does the exact opposite. With less that splendid results. There are others who I have tried to help who, for whatever reason, don't or can't hear what I'm saying. And I turn out, almost always, to be right then as well. Now don't get me wrong, I'm never 100% right. No one is. But my batting average is something in the range of 85% to 90% hits.

I say this because it frustrates me to no end when people don't listen to me. It's mostly people who are close to me that I get frustrated by, of course. I have a vested interest in trying to see them have the best. Right now I am very frustrated by my girl. She is totally blocking me out on anything I say with respect to a particular problem she is having. I mean blocking to the point where she doesn't even hear me when I talk about it. Now, this issue is extremely complex and complicated. Not something that could be fixed by a simple answer. Yet that is exactly when she is trying to do. Put a band-aid on a severed leg. There are some definite cultural factors playing part in this as well as the whole "I've been working this dock all my life while you have only seen it for a few months/years" thing. It's difficult to get over that kind of blockage.

The thing that cranks me off is that I'm not trying to completely solve her troubles in one fell swoop. I'm trying to get her to take a step back and see the bigger picture. She's so forest and trees I don't think she has any idea of what might be going on around her. And what "might" be going on could end up really, horribly, painfully tragic. It's not a certainty, but the odds are very good. But, as is most often the case, she won't listen to me.

No one listens to me though I'm usually almost always right.

And that's the frustrating part.

No comments:

Post a Comment