Friday, November 04, 2005

I'm Burnin' For You down the Highway To Hell

Back a few weeks ago I was listening to the radio and there were two guys debating the relative impact that Blue Oyster Cult has had on music. One was taking the position that, while BOC has produced some great and alltime classic songs, they haven't had an effect on music the way some other bands/artists had. Of course the other guy took the opposing view. While I didn't listen to it for to long a time (I want music or news on my car radio, period) it got me thinking about the question at hand; what makes a musical artists influential?
  • There are those that change the course of music: the Beatles, Elvis, Hendrix, Sabbath, Van Halen, Nirvana

  • There are those who have more subtle, though no less serious, effects: Metallica, CCR, Skynyrd, SRV, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy

  • Then there are those who just crank out serious Rock 'n' Roll: AC/DC, Boston, Kiss, REO, Styx, Ted Nugent, ZZ top
I believe that BOC definitely falls into the third category. And if you ask me, the world needs more BOC's and AC/DC's and the like. It's music. There's nothing wrong with being a Bob Dylan or a Paul McCartney. Making change in music, culture and even society is a good thing. But sometimes... I'll let the boys from down under say it.

"Rock 'n' Roll ain't noise pollution
Rock 'n' Roll ain't gonna die
Rock 'n' Roll ain't noise pollution
Rock 'n' Roll
Rock 'n' Roll
is just Rock 'n' Roll, yeah
"

No comments:

Post a Comment