Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Micro Heart Attacks - What Are They?

Or more importantly, do they exist.

For months now I have been having chest pain. It usually comes as a sharp pain in the heart area but doesn't last for more than a second or two. The problem I have is that with all the other medical things going on I'm a little worried that they maybe masking something. The only symptom I have that isn't something I've already had for over 12 years now is extreme shortness of breath. I was never in good shape, well not recently anyway, but i could get out of bed and stand up without losing breath and needed a few minutes just to catch my breath. The only reason this bothers me is that a guy I used to work with had strange and very sudden extreme shortness of breath and they had him under the knife right away. It was a good thing, too, as he was a massive heart attack waiting to happen. That's all I'd need is a heart attack. My life sucks enough but I'll be damned if I'm ready to put this kind of burden on my son. Losing a parent is traumatic no matter the age of the parent & child. But it's harder on little kids and teens. There's so much I want to see and do with him. If things don't get better I'll call the doctor on Friday.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, that definitely does sound like a potentially bad heart problem. My guess is a blockage of some sort is causing it.

    Do you have other pains, like in your left arm? Or tingling (again, left arm)?

    Or, do you have symptoms that could indicate pneumonia? My father recently had problems with shortness of breath and he figured it was heart related because of past heart problems. It turned out to be pneumonia. Whoodathunkit?

    Either way, definitely get looked at on Friday even if you do feel better. You don't want to wait until it's too late to see a doctor. Nab this before it does permanent damage.

    (FWIW, I've gotten sharp, quick chest pains when I've been without exercise for a while and I've been pounding down too much coffee. Laying low on the caffeine and moving around more helps it go away, at least for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not this has been going on for many weeks (months?) but I have been doing the whole de-nile thing. Mostly because I am really getting sick of doctors and tests. You know what I mean first hand. But the other day I was watching the big boy doing his homework and it hit me that if something happens to me he's got very little to hold on to. Yes, he'll have his mother but I'm not comfortable with her being a full-time parent. But that's for another blog.

    Anyway, I have an appointment on Friday with a neurologist. I'm going to try and segue that into this situation. The biggest problem is that the symptoms for a heart attack are all masked by the FM, etc. My left are has been numb for years. I do know I don't have pneumonia and I haven't been on caffeine for many years.

    If I'm still alive this weekend I'll post the outcome.

    ReplyDelete