Thursday, December 08, 2005

Free Tibet?

This morning I was watching CCTV, which is Chinese news broadcast in English on the MHz Network. Besides looking at the beautiful Chinese woman reporting the news, I get a very good idea at what is happening in the world from a PRC point of view. This can often be quite interesting as what news is reported can oft' times differ in varying degrees from that reported by the rest of the worlds news centers.

There was a piece on a meeting between Chinese president Hu Jintao and the 11th Pauchan Erdeni Quigyi Gyeibo of Tibet, who is 14 years old. I missed the beginning of it so I don't know what the context of the meeting was but I did get to hear a fair portion of President Hu's comments. Seems that the religious, cultural, technological & social insights that the 11th Pauchan have are treasured by China and fit right in with the grand scheme of the Communist Party (PRC). President Hu said many, many times in his speech that he hopes the Pauchan will follow the precedent set by the 10th Pauchan and embrace the "patriotic" ways of the PRC. The multi-cultural world of China is brought together by the great benevolence of the PRC and Tibet is a valued part of that. The work that the Pauchan can do to being religious and cultural teachings to The People is applauded by the PRC and the PRC will help in this dissemination of understanding and piece.

Blah, blah, blah...

There are times when the BS meter gets pegged so hard the whole thing breaks. This is one such time. You don't have to know anything about Tibet or Buddhism or even Chinese culture to know that 99% of Mr. Hu's speech was full or crap. The PRC wants the open and honest sharing of religion and culture as much as it wants a free Internet. That don't call it the "Great Firewall of China" for nothing.

Watching this did bring a few things to mind, though. It's been forever since I really visited the Thai Buddhist Temple. Once in what much be three years now. I know that my friend there, Phra Aroon, is now in California doing great things which leave no one there who will know me. Still, there was no one who knew me the first time I went and met Phra Aroon and Phra Wichian. If only the temple wasn't so far away. Maybe after he holidays I'll try and hit it at least once a month. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment