Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas, more or less

Christmas has always been a time of happiness and fun for me. The only exception being the song "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." However, things haven't been completely happy and fun for a few years.

When my father get sick is was difficult. But it was on December 26th, 1999 when he was put into the hospital for the last time. We were down spending Christmas with my ex's as this was their year (plus her father had just passed away two months earlier after a 20+ year battle with Parkinson's). Anyone who's married knows the whole alternating holidays schedule thing. What we'd planned on was to open the presents when we got back home. Now with him in the hospital we just planed on opening them when he was back home. Well, that never happened. Early morning on February 2nd, 2000 my father passed away. It was a month and a half from Christmas but I still link the two events in my mind.

So Christmas is now a little bittersweet for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment