Sunday, February 05, 2006

What a Super day

As I start this post there's 2:41:45 to go until kickoff. Go Steelers.

My son dropped by earlier to give me something he picked up at the Chocolate festival that's happened locally. It was a Steelers Pillow. He's the greatest.

We're going to a local sports bar to watch the game. Been going there for a few years but this year with the playoffs it's been wonderful. You should have seen the celebration after the Indy game. Screaming & hugging & and jumping all over. It was glorious.

4:32:56

The whole family usually goes. My mom and two brothers plus my sister and her two daughters (known as 'the girls'). When I have my son we go, too. The kids play pool or video games (though the owner took almost all the video games out to make another dart area). I'm bringing my son today, by prior arrangement with his mother, of course. I don't know how long we'll stay, though. I'm hoping to make it to halftime. Then I'll take my mother home and we'll go home. It's a school night so we can't stay for the whole game. Why couldn't they have the game at a decent hour.

My sister isn't coming. She didn't/wouldn't give a reason but it doesn't matter. This is why we might be leaving early. My son isn't quite into football yet. To be honest, I wasn't a fan until I was 13 and a freshman in high school.

4:26:49

They are calling this Super Bowl Extra Large because it's roman numerals are XL. Not many people now a days can read roman numerals. The movie industry used to use them for the dates a movie had but now they just use the plain old Arabic numbers. Heh, with all the anti-Muslim feelings these days I wonder what people would think if they knew we got our number system from "those people." I can still do roman numerals a bit. I have to count them to do it but I can still do it. For example, I was born in the year MCMLXII and my son was born in MCMXCVI. This year is MMVI. What a trip.

I wish my dad were here. He'd love to see the Black 'n' Gold in another Super Bowl. But then I'm sure he's watching from wherever he is. My parents are Catholic so I'm positive he's in Heaven. My religious beliefs are a little more mercurial. No, that's not quite right. Nebulous is a better word. The old "Spiritual but not religious" option that's in all the online dating sites. But why am I talking about religion.

4:22:29

I'm not as excited as I should be. I wonder why? Maybe because the girls won't be there so my son won't have anyone to play with. Maybe because I won't be able to stay for the whole game. Maybe because none of this matters because I'm in so much pain I can barely see. It just keeps getting worse every day. By fractions, but enough that it's notable. We're going to appeal the decision of my HMO to decline coverage for me to have a motorized chair/scooter. But it's extremely unlikely that it'll get overturned. This means we'll have to pay out-of-pocket for one. The cheapest one from The Scooter Store is $999. It's not ideal but it would work ok. But where am I going to get $9 let alone $999.

4:16:33

I guess I better start getting ready. I'll need to go pick up my son around 4pm so we can get to the game in time. It'll be my first trip to the latest abode his mother is in. Wonder how long she'll be in this one.

Ok, I'm off to shower and get dressed. I'll try and post the update to everything I said I would maybe after the game. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment