Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A change of seen airy

I mentioned a little while ago that I was contemplating writing as a new career, or at least as something to do. Lately I've been giving it more serious thought. I know where to get the tools for writing, there's a plethora of Open Source writing apps/programs/utilities/tools. I can also get any help with the actual fundamental aspects of writing, should I need to. But what am I to write about?

I have previously only written short articles, editorials and interviews. Some 25 or 30 years ago I tried to write a Science Fiction short story but it was a complete disaster. Then again, it was 25 or 30 years ago. In high school I never did well in any of my English classes. This was due to my complete inability to spell English words and my illegible penmanship. (One teacher commented that my handwriting looked like hieroglyphics). Thus, the idea of using the language as a means of vocation had been completely unthinkable. Until recently. Technology has taken care of the spelling (you wouldn't believe the number of misspelled words in this post before the spell checker fixed them) and the legibility issues. Time has helped with the rest. I now have sufficient experience, knowledge and wisdom to express myself in a decent manor. I am now in a position of being capable of writing things that others find entertaining and informing. So what am I to write about?

That's the sixty-four thousand dollar question. They say you should write what you know. So what do I know? I know a niche of the technical world. I know my experiences (remembering them is another story). I am a fair interviewer. So what to write?

So far I've come up with a list consisting of -
  • Science Fiction
  • Fantasy
  • Technical: Manuals
  • Technical: Reviews
  • (Auto)Biographical
There's probably more things I could write about but I can't think of them off-hand. Anyone got any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I don't see why you can't combine them into something unique. Tom Clancy incorporated his near psychotic level of knowledge of all things military into his fiction. Cyberpunk utilized technology, some of which didn't seem that unreasonable. Dave Eggers and Haruki Murakami (authors I assume you're not familiar with, but others may be) incorporate autobiographical elements into their fiction.

    On and on and on.

    I don't think this is an either/or proposition. Write what you know... All of it.

    Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, you really need to stay out of my brain. No. Strike that. Stay in there. It seems that I have an innate ability to get into other peoples worlds but am completely lost inside my own life. It's a perspective thing. I'll keep working on the rest of the world if you'll watch my back. At least occasionally.

    ReplyDelete