Saturday, April 01, 2006

I hate moving

I have moved a lot in my lifetime. The first time I moved was before I was a year old. I've been across the Atlantic ocean 13 times (at least that's what I think, I'm not positive). During one period from the summer of 1980 till the summer of 1988 I moved 10 times. Back then it wasn't so bad. But now that I'm old and crippled it's really a major task that's very difficult to get completed. I'm lucky if I can do 15 or 20 minuted A DAY organizing & packing before my body leaves me useless. OC, it helps when the movers are relatively competent.

These geniuses showed up six-and-a-half hours late. By the time we got the house mostly packed, loaded, moved and unloaded it was already after 1:30. And they left a ton of boxes in the garage. They packed stuff haphazardly and with little or no markings on the boxes to tell what was in them. Hopefully we'll get everything moved out by next weekend so the cleaning people can come in and clean up. Then it'll be the long, tedious task of unpacking the boxes here. It's a little difficult for me because I am a pack rat. I hate to throw away anything. But there's no room in the place now so I'm chucking lots of stuff I would normally really want to keep. Even stuff that could be useful.

I do plan on organizing my books. I have a ton of computer books and most of them are in really good shape. Maybe I'll go through and selectively cull out the ones I really need and sell the rest on eBay or something. Or donate them to the library, if they still take book donations.

In a way it's good that my son is staying with his mother for the rest of the school year. This way I can get everything unpacked and setup so that when he's here and when he comes back it'll all be nice and finished. Maybe. Probably not, but you never know.

I have decided something, though. I am going to start making my "worldly possessions" fit into one or two medium sized boxes. Just my clothes and some minor stuff and I'm set. As for furniture, #uck it! I'll leave it wherever it is and get new stuff. Ok, maybe not that drastic, but I do want to make the whole packing/moving/unpacking thing as simple as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment