Thursday, May 18, 2006

NewsForge | US military is blocking Slashdot and SourceForge.net

NewsForge | US military is blocking Slashdot and SourceForge.net: "I was told recently that Air Force bases in the San Antonio, Texas, area are blocking one or more of our sister OSTG sites, like SourceForge.net, Slashdot.org, or Freshmeat.net. After finding reports via Google of commercial mail services and liberal news sites being blocked by various components of the Department of Defense, I decided to go straight to the horse's mouth for the story. Here's what I learned."

This is a good read. Not for the censorship aspect but because everyone must try and understand what is happening on and what things are shaping the Internet.

I was a Department of the Army Civilian Employee for 20+ years in various countries. I know and understand the reasoning behind much of what the military does and how it goes about doing it. Are there things I would do differently if I were in charge? Sure, of course. But I also think that the way things are done now aren't, by definition, wrong.

The best thing to do is read the article and, if you're lucky enough to have access to anyone in the military, see if you can find out what their instillation regulations and procedures are.

No comments:

Post a Comment