Saturday, June 17, 2006

Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft: ITALIEN - USA

Right now it's halftime in the US vs Italy game. The significants of this game, besides it being contested by my home country team against my #1 favorite team, is the fact that they are playing in Kaiserslautern. This is the town where I spent most of my youth, from the age of 13 to 19. I went to the American High School in Vogelweh. I lived 3 years in the little village of Rodenbach. Spent a couple of years living and working on Ramstein AB, home of the 86th Alirlift Wing (AW). When I was there in the 70's the 86th Tactical Fighter Wing was also there. The 86th AW used to fly the C-5s, though now it seems to be home for C-130s, C-40s, C-20s and C-21s. Just up the way at Bitberg AB, the 36th Tactical Fighter Squadron was based. They flew the F-15s. Oh man, what a bird.

Well, the 2nd half is starting. The game is tied 1-1 (which is a big accomplishment for the USians). I'm watching the game on Univision because the announcing is better. Not in what they say, I can't understand a word they're saying, but they call the game with the right cadence and feel. The US announcers call the games like they do baseball and football. You can't feel the game that way.

And there's nothing that beats: GoooooOOOOOOOoOOOoooooooAAAAAAAAaaaaaalllllLLLLLLLLLL!

No comments:

Post a Comment