Wednesday, January 10, 2007

General Wants Gay Ban Lifted

"General Wants Gay Ban Lifted Military.com | January 03, 2007
In an op-ed published in Tuesday's New York Times, John M. Shalikashvili, retired Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, says Congress should give "serious reconsideration" to "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," the ban on openly lesbian, gay and bisexual military personnel. Shalikashvili, who supported the ban on open service in 1993, writes that "I now believe that if gay men and lesbians served openly in the United States military, they would not undermine the efficacy of the armed forces," and goes on to say that "Our military has been stretched thin by our deployments in the Middle East, and we must welcome the service of any American who is willing and able to do the job."
"

I knew General Shalikashvili back when I lived in N├╝rnberg. He was a really good leader and a very smart man. He was also one of the ones on-the-ground in country during the first Gulf War.

Now, I doubt that the Military will ever become an enlightened organization anytime soon. There's way to much testosterone inherent in the culture. Having grown up and lived with the Military I know their reactions to this issue. The funniest thing in the world, though, is when they say that the reason is because they don't guys them hitting them. "I don't want some fag hitting on me in a foxhole." This reasoning is, to anyone with more than two braincells to rub together, absurd. First off, if you're in a foxhole with anyone you're going to be dodging bullets. Who's going to make a pass on anyone when you're under fire. Second, and more importantly, who the hell says that you'd even be moderately attractive to anyone, male or female. If I were hit on by a gay man I'd personally take it as a compliment. It means I'm at least attractive to someone. None of the my gay friends have ever hit on me, though. <sigh>

1 comment: