Thursday, February 01, 2007

No Child Left Untested?

No Child Left Untested? By Alexandra Gekas Newsweek Updated: 6:13 p.m. ET Jan 30, 2007 - "The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy announced last week that it will be holding four regional summits promoting random student drug testing in public middle and high schools."

When I was in high school I got busted one day with beer in class. Me and a couple of guys would go in the woods during lunch and drink some cans. It was stupid and I got suspended for it (and don't even ask what my folks did). I'd say I was under the influence for maybe 5 or 6 days that semester. And that was the total for my entire high school years. Remember, though, this was in Germany. The school was a DoDDS school so even though it was legal for me to drink on the economy I was still underage on US property.

But this is about as bad as things were then. Kids might be drinking beer or maybe smoking a little hash but that was about it. And this was during the 70's when the government testing wasn't as strict as it is now. Today, we have kids in elementary schools doing crack and huffing and ex and $DEITY only know what else. And along with the drugs come the weapons.

Not very long ago I was firm in my opinion that the idea of testing school kids, even high schooler's, was going to far. But now, I'm split. Random tests for people who are not under any obligation, contractual or otherwise, still rubs me the wrong way. But with a son not far away from middle school the potential for catching and addressing the drug distribution system in a school by doing tests would make me feel better. Intellectually I know that random testing isn't going to make a dent in the drug usage. But emotionally, I want everything and anything done that might even possibly protect my son.

Besides, drinking and getting high are supposed to be for collage.

No comments:

Post a Comment