Monday, March 31, 2008

R - E - S - P - E - C - T

"Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care, TCB
sock it to me, sock it to me,
sock it to me, sock it to me
"
Oops, sorry. Got carried away.

It seems that many (most?) people out there have a skewed definition of this word. I'm constantly hearing people saying things like "Don't you disrespect me" or "You give me respect."

Respect is not given or demanded; it is earned! You have to be or do something that warrants respect. An example from something I saw on TV a little while ago. There's another (ugh!) "reality" show called Pussycat Dolls Presents: Girlicious that is about making a stupid pop group. They have a bunch of girls who are doing different singing and dancing things and the loser gets bumped. Blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, there was one scene where some of the girls were working with a world renowned vocal coach/teacher. He was giving out different parts for a song they'd be preforming. One of the girls didn't like the vocal line she was given so she got pissy and walked out. Man, the guy went out to talk with her and tore her a new one. She was like, "Oh I'm sorry, I'm sorry" but he came at her with something like (and I paraphrase)...

"Who do you think you are? What have you done
that makes you think you can have that obnoxious
diva attitude? They fly me across the world to
do this. You, haven't even earned $5 and you
pull this on me."

Here was a man who had paid his dues and worked to earn the respect he got. This twit had done nothing for nothing. She's a nobody who is hoping to become a somebody.

I find it tiresome that people have so little grasp of anything; so little knowledge or common sense. On average, each generation after WWII has become dumber and dumber than the previous. It's about as depressing a thing as there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment