Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Limpin' Loner

Last Thursday evening, while standing over the bathroom sink, I had a slight blackout and fell1. It's not the first time that's happened and probably won't be the last.

The difference is that this time I fell in such a way that I broke my right ankle. This is only the second time I've had a broken bone in my life. The first was in 2002 or 2003 when I broke my toe in Tae Kwon Do class. That was slightly annoying but as it was on my left foot it didn't have a major impact on my lifestyle. See, my left leg is substantially weaker than my right. Now, I'm in a bit of a mix because I have no solid support to stand on. Thankfully a few years ago I bought an electronic wheelchair off of e-bay for a song. The Orthopedic doctor isn't thrilled with the chair idea but right now it's the only way I can get around. Hopefully the ankle will heal enough so I won't need it for very long.

[1] Yes, the whole blacking out thing was noticed by the doctors. Seems they weren't happy with the idea I'd been having this nearly everyday for a few years and didn't tell them about it. Hey, wha'da expect? I'm a guy. They're lucky my family dragged me in to look at my ankle.

1 comment:

  1. Blackouts definitely suck. I blacked out the night of Brenda's company's Christmas party. After we got back home and went to bed, I woke up and went to the bathroom. I must have bent down and straightened up too quickly when I flushed cuz I went down like a rock. I'm thinking it's the trazodone + copious amounts of alcohol. Dunno.

    I get up more slowly from toilets now. :)

    ReplyDelete