Tuesday, April 28, 2009

BumpTop makes MS Windows more usable

I hate MS Windows.

It's no secret, just do a search with my name and Linux to see plenty of evidence. In the summer of 1995 I switched all of my computers to Linux, both at home and at work. I even got my mother to switch.

Unfortunately, since I started University, I've had to do all my classwork on MS Windows. It has been frustrating at best and down right crippling at worst. I still have no idea how anyone gets anything done with this operating system. It has been torture.

But just the other day I stumbled on a shell for MS Windows that has gone a long way towards making it tolerable to use. It's called BumpTop. Here is a vid of how it works -



The only downside I've found (so far) is that it puts everything on your desktop under your $HOME/Desktop folder. It would be better if it kept all of this under a separate folder. Something along the lines of $HOME/BumpTop or or the like.

Anyway, give it a whirl and see if you like it. You got nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment