Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Conficker Worm

From the Symantec Norton site:
If you’re still worried about the Conficker threat from April 1st, here is some additional information. On April 1st the Conficker worm was potentially going to take steps to protect itself. Beginning on April 1st, the worm would have used a communications system that would have been more difficult for security researchers to interrupt.
This is the first worm/virus alert that I have had to monitor and take precautions for in the last 15 or so years. Why? Because up until now all my systems were running Linux.

Due to my attending Westwood Online for university, I must run an MS Windows system in order to interface with the classes and do my assignments. Thus I am now vulnerable to all the nastiness and evil doers out there. That's not to say there aren't security issues with Linux. No computer system is 100% secure. But, due to Linux's UNIX heritage and the fact that it's based on the Open Source development model, it is infinitely more stable and secure than anything Microsoft has developed.

Thankfully, it seems I wasn't effected by this worm. One reason is because I have Norton AntiVirus & Security Scan as well as Uniblue's RegistryBooster installed and checking my system. Even so I still have to keep an eye on the security alerts to try and stay ahead of the bad guys. After this semester I'll only have two more years to go for my degree. Once that's done I'm wiping this box and putting Linux on it. It's just to dangerous not to.

Oh, in case you were attributing this to my Linux zealotry, here's the first line in the above referenced warning:

Target: All users of Windows XP and Windows Vista.

No comments:

Post a Comment