Thursday, June 18, 2009

Normandy Vets Look to One Last Remembrance

Normandy Vets Look to One Last Remembrance | Stars and Stripes | Steve Mraz | May 28, 2009 | "The ranks of living D-Day veterans have long been thinning.

As the 65th anniversary of the World War II Allied invasion of Europe approaches, even the youngest men who survived the bloody beach assaults, night parachute drops and glider landings into northeast coastal France now find themselves in their 80s.
"

I'm a little late with this post but it's something I feel is worth commenting on.

I think my generation, i.e. Baby Boomers, are the last to have any real understanding of what these men did. My Boomerness is at the tail end of said Boom so I'm about as far removed from WWII as kids in there teens and twenties are now from Vietnam. But the world moved slower back then. The most immediate news source we had was Television. Information then seemed glacial compared to the 'Net and text messaging. Twenty years for me is like five years for today's youth.

It is, in my opinion, up to us to do for them what our parents did for us. Educate them about our history. Help them understand that history isn't just some boring words in a class textbook. There are some very good programs on the History, History International, Discovery, the Military and The Learning Channels that can really help with this. My son knows more about WWII than most people my age.

Otherwise, as George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:

Post a Comment