Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lawmakers to press military on gay ban

Lawmakers to press military on gay ban By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writer Anne Flaherty, Associated Press Writer – Sun Feb 21, 2:59 pm ET | WASHINGTON – "Lawmakers this week will press the military's top uniformed officers for the first time on whether they think repealing "don't ask, don't tell" makes sense or would be too disruptive.

The testimony from each of the service chiefs on Capitol Hill will be crucial to the debate in Congress on whether to repeal the 17-year-old law, which bans gays from serving openly in the military.
"

This could be a touchy little exchange on the Hill. The "military's top uniformed officers" are not going to be for anything that allows gays to serve openly. There's to much testosterone and machoness in the military psyche to allow for anything not manly to be accepted. Mind you, this isn't a completely bad thing. If you're going to be fighting and killing the enemy you need to be a rough and tough, kick-ass SOB. This predicates on a specific mentality, one that is not comfortable with homosexuality. One would hope that someday reason and intelect will prevail on this topic but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

And by "soon" I mean within the next three hundred years or so.
Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it's fair for you to make that judgement.
    Who is to say that same-sex attracted men are any less manly, strong, powerful, dominating than their opposite-sex counterparts?
    Looks like you're basing your assessment on nothing but the stereotyped Queer eye for the straight guy behaviour of what gay men are to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You misinterpreted what I meant, probably because I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I was not referring to the "manliness" of anyone but the psychological perceptions that are normally pervasive in this kind of culture. See, a straight soldier can not reconcile the concept of a man being gay and masculine at the same time. Try asking them about someone like Rock Hudson. There was a quintessential manly man but he would never be accepted by the military. I grew up and have lived around the military all mu life. I know how the grunts on the line feel and how they react to things.

    Now, not all of the military is against gays serving. Many have no problem with it. But you wont find any of them saying so out loud. It's the culture that is the biggest problem.

    And, for the record, I have never seen Queer Eye. I'm not into most fashion type shows. But I am a fan of ANTM (Mr. Jay is great and Ms. J is, well, fabulous beyond words) and some shows on Logo (but not so much The L Word as it's to much like a soap for me).

    If you ask my friends, both straight and gay, none of them would ever accuse me of making stereotypical assumptions. Really. :-)

    ReplyDelete