Monday, July 19, 2010

A Scientist Takes On Gravity

A Scientist Takes On Gravity
By DENNIS OVERBYE
Published: July 12, 2010

"It’s hard to imagine a more fundamental and ubiquitous aspect of life on the Earth than gravity, from the moment you first took a step and fell on your diapered bottom to the slow terminal sagging of flesh and dreams.

But what if it’s all an illusion, a sort of cosmic frill, or a side effect of something else going on at deeper levels of reality?
"

This is an interesting concept. There is much about the idea that I don't understand but since a large number of expert physicists don't understand it either I'm not to bothered. I can see, though, how it is beneficial to the advancement of science. We only advance when we question. There is a quote that is attributed to Issac Asimov that I like which captures my feelings on questioning things.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:

Post a Comment