Friday, February 08, 2013

Decisions Decisions

Ok, I'm pretty much done with the server migration so that's out of the way. There's only twenty more days left in the month, though, so I need to start getting started with February's One Game A Month project. The first thing to do is come up with a game idea.

No, wait. The first first thing is to decide what platform and language I want to use. Yeah, yeah, yeah... That's not really when one should start a project, but this is where my joy* is so that's where I'm starting. So let's see what's on the menu.

Platform: Android
DevTools: App Inventor, AndEngine/Eclipse, HTML-CSS-JavaScript/PhoneGap

This has it's appeal but might be a bit overly ambitious at this point. I've barely scratched the surface of Android development and haven't done much of any Java.

Platform: Linux
DevTools: Python/Pygame, C++ with game engine, C++ without an engine

The Python route is extremely exciting, even though I've never programmed in it before. I love to learn new programming languages. C++ w/Engine is sketchy as I don't know anything about what's available outside of Unity. While it would be fairly easy for me to do another terminal based ASCII game, that's seems like wimping out to me. But it's on the table due to the shorter time frame available.

Platform: Windows
DevTools: Game Maker, gameEditor, C++/DirectX, C++ with game engine, C++ without an engine

I'm fairly sure I can get something halfway decent with Game Maker (and possibly gameEditor). I do have a DirectX game that's 85% done I could finish. Using an engine (UDK, Unity, Torque, etc.) runs into the same complexity difficulty as on Linux. There's a side issue with this, though. My Win7 box is on life-support and would not be up to the task. I already have a box to put it on but I really, Really, REALLY hate loading Windows and the ton of crap that doesn't come with it.

That's as far as I've pondered on this subject. It's almost 1am here so I better get to sleep. Gotta deal with a 16yo son who's, a-hem, "in the dog house" in the morning. If anyone happens to read this (like that's going to happen) and wants to put there $0.02 in I have no objections. I'll not turn down any ideas for an actual #1GAM game either.

No comments:

Post a Comment