Friday, February 15, 2013

Fun with sendmail

It's been 15 years since I've setup sendmail. Now I can't remember how to do anything with the mc file.

The problem was that, when queried, sendmail said there were no auth options. Neither LOGIN nor PLAIN would be accepted. If you can't connect to smtp sendmail can't send mail. (Ha! See what I did there? Alliteration FTW!) So it's off the the docs. Between the sendmail site, Google searches and the FAQS/RFC site, I should find something, right? Well, this time the answer is: Right!

Turns out I had two major config mistakes in the sendmail.mc fine. The first was not creating and using a cert for secure connections. The second was not including my IP address in /etc/mail/access with RELAY enabled. Now things are working. The next week or two will see if there are any little buguettes* left in there.

This weekend will be spent banging away on the C++ course, with the exception of Sunday afternoon/evening. My son and I are going to visit with my ex-brother-in-law's family. They have two kids, just younger than my son, and his other grandma will be there, too. We all have a good time when we can get together.
* Yes, that is spelled correctly. I just made the word up. It means "little bugs".

No comments:

Post a Comment