Saturday, June 26, 2004

Writing about Linux

I am not a writer. My brother is a writer. Yet somehow I have been writing articles and reviews, primarily on Linux and the web, for a few years now. I haven't quite figured out how I got into this.

Recently I've been writing for Linux Weekly News. I'm not at all pleased with the over-all quality of my writing but it's been fun. I plan on doing some reviews of various Linux distributions for next month. My intent is to focus on some of the lesser known and specialized distros. I am a little worried, though, about whether I can write anything good enough for publication anymore. Some of my previous work is decent but lately it seems like I can't get my thoughts in order well enough to write a coherent article. Maybe it's the fact that I have to write now (I promised LWN some articles for the summer). Or maybe it's just that I lack the in depth knowledge to write about specific things. That's one reason I'm going to be doing reviews for a while. It's easier to write about something you're playing with than something that's more esoteric like programming. Either way I hope that I can get some better quality stuff done. Even though I'm not an actual writer I'd still prefer it if the stuff I do write is worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment