Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Sanity is relative

It seems that my mother thinks I'm strange.

This isn't a news flash, everyone knows I'm strange. But she read this blog and it has added a new nuance to the mix. That's ok. With everything that's going on lately it's a miracle I'm still able to function.

The other day I was flipping through the Comcast got help us! On Demand stuff and went into the free movie selection. Free is good so I thought I'd see what they had. Lo' and behold! They had 1776. If you haven't seen this movie you should run out right now and get it, rent it, steal it (ok, don't steal it), borrow it... Just see the movie. Anyway, there's a line in it that has always amused me.
"Good God, consider yourselves fortunate that you have John Adams to abuse, for no sane man would tolerate it!"
I find this amusing because it states quite clearly my position on how I relate to the universe. It's a good thing that I am around because "no sane man would tolerate it!"

But sanity is relative, as I said. What is sane to one person could likely be insane to another. Circumstances and culture and a ton of other things make up how we define what is sane and insane. In many ways I am not quite sane, but so is everyone else who takes breath on this planet. The trick is to realize your insanity and adjust yourself so that you can function in the real world. Of course no one has actually defined what the term "real world" means, but that's for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment