Tuesday, September 07, 2004

One down a million to go

Well, the first day of 2nd grade is over. My son said he had an "awesome" time. I just barely made it in time to pick him up but did get there under the wire. I also got to meet his teacher. Man, she is a fox. OC, she's probably already married. All the women who work there at his school are either married to way to young.

Speaking of which... One of the new guys at work just got married over the weekend. Turns out he's 21. I have shirts years older than him. I let my son use them for PJ's. Thankfully three of the other new hires are all in their late 30's to mid 50's. We're just a bunch of old pharts.

I got my system up and running finally. I ended up having to do a reinstall. I just couldn't figure out how the migration from XFree to Xorg worked. This isn't so bad, really, as I had a 8 gig partition sitting on there doing nothing. Now I have more drive space for the box. All the better to add more crap I'll never actually use.

I was thinking about that the other day. What are the GUI programs and utilities that I actually use? I use xterm's like mad (generally have a minimum of 5 or 6 open). I use Mozilla for web, Evolution for email, OpenOffice, nedit, rdesktop (but only at work), gqview & danpei for image viewing, acrobat reader & ghostview for pdf & postscript files respectively, glables for making CD labels, jpilot, pan for news reading (on those rare occasions I have an urge for p0rn), xcalc... There's a few development tools, IDE's and the like, that I pop into once and a while. But I tend to do 95% of my coding with vi(m) on the command line in an xterm. Hmm, it seems that other than these I do most of my computing on the command line in an xterm. And of the GUI apps only Mozilla and Evolution are open almost all the time.

Guess I'm just a extra old phart.

P.S. I was thinking about putting links for all the above listed apps but that sounds like to much work and I'm ready for bed. Just google away.

No comments:

Post a Comment